We all like to spoil our little friends from time to time by giving them some of our food or beverages that we might consider delicious or healthy, but you must always remember that not everything that its good for us is also good for them.
Here is a top 10 list of the most toxic food for our dogs
1. Left-Over Bones: yes we all know that dogs love bones but sometimes they can be really dangerous for them especially chicken bones because they can splinter very easily and could puncture your pets gut or intestine, not to mention that they could choke on them.
2. Milk: adult dogs don’t have a sufficient amount of lactase enzymes in order to break down the lactose in milk therefore making him lactose-intolerant. Some of the symptoms are diarrhea and abdominal cramps
3. Chocolate or anything with caffeine: as delicious as it may look to you chocolate is very toxic containing methlxanthines a substance that is found in cacao seeds.and can cause: diarrhea, excessive urination, vomiting, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Dark chocolate is even more dangerous having a higher amount of methlxanthines.
4. Grapes and raisins: these are very dangerous for your dog because they can cause kidney failure. Although it is still unknown what substance produces this, one thing is for sure: do not feed your dog this fruit. Other symptoms include: vomiting, abdominal pain and lethargy.
5. Raw eggs: avidin is an enzyme that can be found in raw eggs, which decreases the absorption of biotin(a B vitamin), this can lead to skin problems and to an unhealthy coat.Also Salmonella and E.Coli can be found in raw eggs which are very toxic for your pet.
6. Garlic and Onions: it seems that this vegetables contain a toxic substance called thiosulphate that can lead to red blood cell damage and eventually to anemia.Some symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, discolored urine and hemolytic anemia.
7. Macadamia Nuts: it isn’t really known what substance makes is so dangerous for dogs but keep in mind that just a small amount of this nuts can make your dog very ill.Symptoms include: vomiting, hipertermia, muscle tremors, and weakness.
8. Salt: a large amount can lead to sodium ion poisoning that can be fatal.Symptoms include: diarrhea, vomiting, depression, hipertermia, tremors and even death.
9. Avocado: this fruit contains a substance called persin which is very toxic for your little friend.Symptoms include diarrhea and vomiting
10. Large quantities of liver: can lead to vitamin A hypervitaminosis, effecting muscle and deforming the bones of the animal.Other symptoms include:constipation or diarrhea and weight loss
We know it's hard to refuse those puppy eyes when they are longing for whatever you are eating but it's very important to know what is good or not for your dog.